I’ve been chipping away at the Grande I’m building for my girlfriend. I’ve powder coated the mags, kickstand, and subframe so far. I didn’t have time to tackle stripping and powder coating the frame and POR-15′ing the tank yesterday, so I decided to start on the engine. I knew it was seized, but I wasn’t sure to what extent. So I dove in.
First thing I tried was hammering the piston down to get the crank to rotate, so I could pull the cylinder off…no luck there. Blew right through the piston after a couple dozen whacks. No big deal though, I knew the piston and cylinder were going to need replacement anyways.
So then I put the cylinder in a vice and hammered on the studs to get the crank to rotate. It did. Enough so that I could get a cutoff wheel down in there and cut through the cylinder sleeve and then through the rod. Bingo.
You can also see where I broke off a piece of the casting. If the case was worth saving, I’d TIG weld it back on, but as you can see it’s pretty far gone. I could probably still save it, but at this point, it’s more time effective to just buy a used case in decent condition for $40, or whatever they are going for on MA.
I’ll try and get around to tackling the frame while I wait for a case to become available.